Monday, January 11, 2010

Bittersweet victory

Wings of a Dream is complete. I am so very happy to be finished with it - my daughter is really pleased, and that means the world to me. Next comes the soaking and blocking. Well, after some major surgery and repair work. Read on.....

It began in January 2008, with many trials and tribulations. The yarn is like thread, even if it is super soft to work with. Finding the right needles was a problem, but finally it came together. Then we came home one day to find that the dog had gotten into it and ruined one of the skeins of alpaca. I thought I had gotten away with it, I could have sworn I had. I checked the stole over very carefully. Not quite carefully enough:



The holes will have to be repaired.

But that's not the part that is really devastating. When I laid it out to take a pre-blocked finished photo, my heart missed a beat, my stomach flipped, and I couldn't believe my eyes.

Can you see the problem?



Yep, that's right. I got the second wing on backwards. Backwards!!!! Argh. My hubby, bless his heart, asked how much I would have to rip back to fix that. I couldn't help it, maniacal laughter erupted from me. Rip back? It would have been the entire second wing. I'll have to just put it aside for a day or so, think about how to detach the wing, flip it over, and reattach it. I'll post over at Ravelry for hints and suggestions.

My daughter laughed and said she would fly in circles the way it is now. She made me feel okay after that. I'm still going to fix it, but I'll do it with a smile on my face.

2 comments:

The Knifty Knitter said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that your stole needs some surgery. Hopefully you'll get it flying straight in no time :)

DragonsChest said...

Har Har Har! That was a good pun. :)

I haven't looked at it again, but I'm giving myself a few days. Not too long, though, or it might just sit there and languish.